1.Sit and be still and get to know yourself
Take ten minutes out each day to be still and to just ‘be’. In this quiet time you will suddenly come to face yourself, your fears, your dreams and your mind will become clearer.
- Start by finding a comfortable place with no distractions
- Focus on being thankful for who you are
- Be mindful of your surroundings- feel where you are sitting, breathe in the air and use all of your senses
- Focus on your breathing
- Pray for God to show you who you really are
- If you prefer music then put music on with no lyrics
2. Turn the negatives into positives
Everyone has bad things that happen to them and unfortunately that is part of life however we can try and find the silver lining to change the situation around even if that is really hard to start with.
- Think of the things you’ve learnt through that situation
- Think of how you can teach others through the things that you’ve learnt
- For every bad thought think of two positive thoughts and write them down if it helps you
3. Write a letter to yourself
- Write a letter to your past self telling them how to get to where you are now
- What advice would you give them?
4. Project yourself
- Project yourself, what are your true dreams for the future (in one year, in five years, throughout your life)
- Write down your thoughts
- Write a letter from your future self to your current self (this one needs more time) giving advice and comfort
5. Shake off the past
- Take the time each morning to shake off the past
- Look into the mirror and say one (or more) positive things about yourself (if you struggle with this get a friend to name one positive thing even if you don’t believe it say it).
- Smile (practise smiling)
- Look for the good in others and in the world around you. The more you practise the better you’ll get. Remember its all about changing your mindset.
6. Be proactive
- Look at your dreams
- What do you need to do to achieve them?
- If it looks scary take smaller steps and take them one by one. Don’t leap just take small steps
- Take the advice of those around you that care and support you
Remember we each have a gift. It’s what we do with it that counts.